Education brings confidence, success and a global outlook! Armed with an MBA - I sit back to reflect on the change that it has brought to my attitude and personality! A few kilos off my physique and an additional degree behind my name - are the most obvious changes I can think of! :)
Reflecting on a serious note there seem to be so many things which have left an everlasting impression on me during the course of the one year I spent training myself to become a global manager! The twin city model of S.P.Jain gave me an opportunity to spend a few months in two vibrant economies of the world - Singapore and Dubai...
The fact that I travelled to these global destinations doesn't mean anything beyond an additional two visa stampings in my passport! What really made a difference is the innumerable number of trips I made with friends of mine to see the city and bask in its true glory. The casual cab driver giving us his two cents about the city its people and the government would invariable teach us much more that what we learn spending hours together in a dull classroom brooding over an equally dull power point presentation!
On retrospection I personally believe education achieves its purpose when it teaches a person to make an altogether new city his home and also gives him/her the confidence to learn/survive in a foreign place amidst men and women from all over the world.
Every trip that I took around the city in Dubai and Singapore did just that… it gave me newer insights on how to make friends in a new city. It gave me the same warm feeling that I seem to enjoy back ‘Home’ in India. The more I traveled the more I realized that the surest way to gain knowledge and confidence is to be a part of the city… All of us have certainly heard of the well known adage “when in Rome, be a Roman” I seem to have been made aware of its true implication which is “When in Rome, be with the Romans”
Most people living in a foreign land seem to be seeking some kind of reassurance and strength by flocking to people from their country. While it might be a good idea in certain cases – I personally feel it’s not a great idea to seek this type of false assurance. There is a unique opportunity which is presented to us every time we let ourselves free in the new land and culture we are currently sharing. The experience brings with it knowledge on the people and their uniqueness. This is what breaks boundaries. The knowledge about what is the likes and dislikes of the people whom we live with turns them from being foreigners to fellowmen!
I certainly can’t wait to trend the shores of newer lands…I certainly can’t wait to meet new people once again…I certainly can’t wait to lean to travel!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment