Thursday, July 15, 2010

Elements of Life

In an attempt to keep my otherwise wild mind on a tight leash, I study bits and pieces of the Hindu philisophy every day. It didn't quite feel right on day one or on day two - but day three became a habit and day four a compulsive need, and it hasn't stopped so far.

I have always had strong influence of religion and the staunch iyengar 'way of life' runs in the blood. As I grew older so did my approach to religion and rituals. No - i did not turn away from it, if that is what you are thinking - My value system and beliefs were in fact built on a strong vine of faith and devotion to Hinduism.

But i did question the interpretation. I questioned the ways and means of understanding what is known as the oldest religion in the world.
Life did take me to different places and presented me with the opportunity to meet different people - some good, some bad and some divine.
What i did observe in each individual - apart from their obvious self is the influence of religion. I consciously waited for references or attribution to religion.
Before you write me off as a religious fanatic, in my defense I did it to understand if religion shapes individuals. Individuals interpret religion the way they want, so why cant they shape their value system and culture the way they want?
Lot of them do - but do it bad. Many of them blame the religion for the way they turned out.

A popular Hindu belief is that " the core of my being is the ultimate reality, the root and ground of the universe, the source of all that exists"
If that is true, what makes the Elements of Life?

No comments: